The Windows Server Update Services content can be moved after the role has been installed and configured using the WSUSUTIL.EXE utility. This can be found on your WSUS server at the following location: “%PROGRAMFILES%\Update Services\Tools\”
You will need to create the directory on the destination location first before running this command, for example D:\WSUS
The command to run is:
wsusutil.exe movecontent "CONTENT PATH" "LOG FILE"
wsusutil.exe movecontent D:\WSUS\ D:\wsusmove.log
Windows Server 2012 brings a useful new feature for your file servers to give you more efficiency in your file servers. This feature can be installed from the Roles and Feature wizard on any Server 2012 or 2012 R2 operating system.
Microsoft provide a deduplication evaluation tool as part of Server 2012 so you can get an idea of the storage savings you could see on your system. This tool is called DDPEval.exe and can be found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder of your server. This can be run against an entire drive or a specific folder.
C:\Windows\System32\DDPEval.exe Drive or path
Install Deduplication Role
Install through Server Manager:
- Click the Add Roles and Features link to launch the wizard
- Select the File and Storage Services Role
- Select Data Deduplication
- Continue the wizard to Install the role
The powershell commands to install Deduplication are:
Add-WindowsFeature -name FS-Data-Deduplication
Enable Deduplication of Volume
Now that you have installed the Deduplication feature you need to enable Deduplication on a Volume (as long as it is not a Boot or System volume)
- Launch Server Manager
- Select File and Storage Services and Select Volumes
- Right Click on the Volume you want and click Configure Data Deduplication.
- Click the checkbox to Enable Deduplication, you can then configure the deduplication. The Default value is to deduplicate files older than 5 days
Note: You can select 0 days in the value above to enable all files to be processed for deduplication regardless of age.
- Launch Powershell as Administrator (Right Click and select Run As Administrator)
- Type Enable-DedupVolume Volume:
Force Deduplication of Volume:
Set-DedupJob Volume -Type Optimization
This will initiate a deduplication of the storage volume. You can view the progress of all deduplication jobs with: